Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Returning home

I dwelled on this title for being so ambiguous. I returned home to Portugal, and now returned home to the US to spend Christmas with my newest family, Nick and the boys. It’s funny how I just now realized I am never leaving home, instead I am always on my way home. Cool! Less cool is that I have to always leave home behind. Bummer. I knew it wasn’t all good…

Anyway, I am back in So Cal and back to work, for great disappointment of Nick, who for some reason convinced himself that I was going to have another vacation here after 2 1/2 weeks overseas and away from work! I wish I could, but I am too busy to even consider that possibility. He is at home with the twins, who are so pleased to be back and missed him so much!

The trips there and back were great. As predicted, not a lot of sleep. Actually, none whatsoever on the way there, and even though they both behaved quite acceptably (I was thoroughly congratulated by fellow passengers and crews!), I have to say I got there exhausted, because entertainment for 16 hours is not easy to come up with. And Lucas, bless him, DOES NOT SHUT UP. It was driving me crazy, and every time I asked him (or told him or demanded that he would please be quiet for a minute) he would just give me a very hurt look, like “I am not doing anything wrong”. The way back was similar, but they slept on the second flight all the way, so that was good for everybody.

While there… they were amazing. They did not shy away from all the attention and the introduction of new faces and family members on a daily basis (no kidding, I lost count!), and embraced all and everyone with grace and good behavior. Again, I could not be more proud! Lucas was great, which is somewhat surprising considering that he is usually the most troublesome, but Thomas filled in with his best moments of stubbornness (or is it strong personality?). They were funny, building sentences in both languages, or mixing and matching (Lucas’ talent). Thomas was the official translator, making sure everything was said in both languages so no one would miss anything. He totally knows the two, but I don’t think he always knows which is which, and in case of doubt, he will say it twice and look at you to make sure you know what he means. Too funny.

It was great for me to go back and recharge, it had been too long. It was short, and yet more relaxed than the previous trip 2 years ago. I only managed to see a few friends, the closest, and even though we don’t really catch up with each other, it feels great to hang out for a bit, as we would if I still lived next door.

Thanks everyone!

No comments: